Cyclone Gabrielle Fund Relief and Support
“He moana pukepuke e ekengia te waka, A choppy sea can be navigated”
Ka Tika te Kōrero
Over the past month, Te Tai Tokerau has been through a State of Emergency twice. Although the weather is starting to ease, we know many in our rohe have been affected or impacted by this weather.
You will find the following in this pānui:
- Civil Defence Payment
- Flood Relief - Funding and Information Resources
Our thoughts and prayers are with all whānau throughout Aotearoa who has lost so much due to the floods and Cyclone Gabrielle. E mihi ana to all our emergency services that have helped our whānau to safety, to all marae that has helped and is still currently helping shelter our whānau.
If you are concerned about yourself or someone else, call us at 0800 KIA RITE or 0800 542 7483, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will help.
Civil Defence Payment
If you and your whānau are affected by an emergency event, you may be able to get a Civil Defence Payment.
Civil Defence payments are available if you’ve been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle.
You can call Work and Income on 0800 400 100. They are open 7 am–5 pm Monday to Friday, 8 am-5 pm Saturday, and 8 am-1 pm Sunday.
You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence payment.
Non-residents may be eligible for this payment. In most cases, it doesn’t matter what your income is or what assets you have.
Who can get it:
You may be able to get a Civil Defence Payment if either:
- A Civil Defence emergency has been declared, or
- The event meets the guidelines for a Civil Defence emergency.
You must be in one of these situations because of the emergency:
- You had to leave your home (e.g. you’ve been evacuated or you’re
- on standby)
- You were away from your home at the time of the emergency and can’t return
- You need help with food, bedding or clothing
- You can’t go to work.
You must also:
- Not be able to cover your costs from insurance (or you haven’t been paid yet)
- Not have access to any other help, e.g:
- Public donations
- Other government relief funds
- Charitable relief funds.
If you’re not sure whether insurance will cover your costs, you may still qualify for a Civil Defence Payment. However, if you get a Civil Defence Payment and then your insurance pays for any costs covered by this, you’ll need to pay Work and Income back.
What you can get depends on your circumstances. You can apply for help with more than one type of cost.
How to apply:
To apply, call Work and Income on 0800 400 100. They are open 7 am–5 pm Monday to Friday and 8 am-5 pm Saturday.
When you apply, you’ll need to tell them your:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Contact number
- Normal home address
- Current address (if you’ve had to evacuate your home).
If you’re applying because you’ve lost income due to the emergency, you’ll also need to tell us your:
- IRD number
- Bank account number
- Details of any income you’ve lost so far
- Contact person’s name and address.
If they need any further information they will contact you. For more information visit this link: Work and Income Cyclone Gabrielle
Flood Relief - Funding Information and Resources
The Center for Social Impact supported by Foundation North has released a guide of flood relief resources to help our Tāmaki Makaurau and Northland communities access the funding they need to respond to the impact of the cyclone, recent floods and any flooding that may occur over the coming days.
Follow this link to the full list of relief information: https://bit.ly/ReliefFundsandResources
Here is a quick breakdown of the funds available:
Tāmaki Makaurau Funds:
- Auckland Council Relief Fund
- Aktive Auckland
- Auckland Emergency Management
- The Village Community Services Trust
Far North through to the Bombay Hills:
- Sky City Trust | Awhi Emergency Response Fund
Areas impacted through State of emergency:
- ASB Extreme weather and flooding support
- Westpac Small Business Flood Relief Grant
- Kiwibank Customer Financial Relief Options and information
- Catalytic Foundation
- Work and Income | Civil Defence Payments
- Work and Income | Support and assistance
- Turuki Flood Response Team
- Mental Health Foundation
- South Seas Healthcare
- Pacific Regional Coordination HuB (PaRCH)
- Siaola Vahefonua Tonga Methodist Mission
- Pasifika Futures Ltd
- The Fono Feleoko Food Hub
- The Village Community Services Trust
- CIDANZ ( Cook Island Development Agency New Zealand )
- Mummys in need
- Ranui Baptist Church
- Kumeu Emergency Hub
- Massey Community Hub
- Match | Te Puna Taurite